CLASSIFIED: TERMINUS - Session 2


Welcome back to more of this stuff! When we last checked in on L5 Agent Jamie Spectra, she had just acquired the clue she needed, and was about to leave Hölger Braun’s mansion -- when the scene’s heavy caught her leaving the office. It’s go-time!

As a refresher, Mythic-specific text looks like this, and system game play rolls look like this.

I can’t keep calling the guy Benny “The Jet” -- or can I? YES I CAN JUST TRY AND STOP ME. I’ll even shorten it to “The Jet”. So.

I have gathered his stats from the random tables in Classified, and he’s a statted NPC now.
The Jet sees Jamie come out of his boss’ office, without his boss. He’s 15’ away, which may matter if this turns into a chase [SPOILER: Duh]. Jamie sees him, too, and makes a quick executive decision: To get the hell outta there.

“Is there another way to go - in other words, does the hall lead somewhere else but towards The Jet?” (50/50 vs 5: 50%) Roll 50: Yes


Man! What is it with these close calls?! Doesn’t matter. Jamie falls into defensive position and tears carpet (marble?) in that direction. The Jet frowns and follows her. It’s a chase!

I’m not going to explain every step of how Classified handles chases, but I will say this: it does it very easily, elegantly, and satisfactorily for the type of game it wants to be. [I ain’t a shill, but I do think this is a game worth owning, so go getcha some maybe.] Suffice to say this: each side bids for initiative (which also sets general difficulty for the round), chooses a maneuver, and then there’s running and mayhem.

Confident in her badassitude, Jamie bids a 4, while Benny bids a 6. Jamie gets to declare last and go first. [NOTE: After running this chase round, I reviewed the chase rules and THIS IS NOT HOW IT WORKS. I corrected it in the next round. But for now, I’ll stick with what I’ve written.] Benny is going for a simple Follow/Escape; Jamie is going for a Stunt, which will be to leap down a flight of stairs that’s at the end of the hall. [N.B. There’s no map of this place, so how do I know there are stairs? Because it makes sense. I could do a Probability Question, but why bother? Anyway, more about impromptu maps in an upcoming post.]

Jamie acts first. She tries her stunt at DF 4; with an Evasion of 20, she’s set up with a Success Chance of 80.

1d100 (77) = 77

Damn! That was close AGAIN! She’s Stunned as she hits the bottom step -- she lost her footing, had to recover it, and is generally jarred. This means she has to roll STR at DF 8, so SC of 64:

1d100 (95) = 95

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME

Well, that’s what Hero Points are for. She knocks down from 5 of them to 4 of them, and turns that failure into a success, and the Stun is gone.

Benny has to do the same stunt at the same DF to keep pace, or he’ll have an accident. His Evasion is 4, so SC=16.

1d100 (99) = 99

BUT DID YOU KNOW that NPCs get Hero or Villain Points, depending? Yes! Benny, being a Criminal-level NPC, gets 2+(1d10-5) VP, or

1d10 (1) = 1


2 Villain Points! Only now he’s spending one to stick that landing, and he’s down to 1 VP. Dang.

[Here we see a cool element of Classified’s mechanics: Hero/Villain Points don’t grant a re-roll, they just modify a result by one level in whichever direction. So they’re pretty sure-fire, and can be used to avoid scenarios like the one that could have happened -- Benny coulda lost Jamie right at the beginning of the chase, and so how boring is that? ANSWER: Very.]

The two of them hurtle down the stairs, into a servant’s access hallway -- hey, is there a cleaning cart or something down here?

“Well, is there? ?” (Somewhat Likely vs 5: 65%) Roll 63: Yes

Sweeeeet.

Let’s start a new round. I’m kind of cheating because I’m my own GM, but -- hey, I have an idea. Jamie will, once again, bid a 4 on this chase round. But…

“Does Benny bid lower than Jamie does?” (Very Unlikely vs 5: 25%) Roll 92: Exceptional No
It’s very unlikely because his Evasion sucks. But there was always the chance that the “GM” might’ve wanted to tip the scales a little bit for purposes of strategy. As it is, though, that’s not the case.

Jamie gets to decide who goes first, and it’s gonna be her. It’s another Stunt--this time, she’ll run past the cleaning cart and throw it back at him. That’s an Evasion roll at DF 4; her Evasion is 20. Same as it ever was. Roll ‘em!

1d100 (54) = 54

Yeah! She barrels down the hallway and shoves the cart backward on her way. If I read the rules correctly, Benny has to match her maneuver to keep up with her before he can take HIS maneuver. I think.  Anyway, his SC is 16, again:

1d100 (73) = 73

Yeah, no. I could have him burn another VP, though...and I think I will, because I don’t want him out of the action yet. So he succeeds, and goes for a Follow. They’re already both at Close range, but I declare (as GM) that if he succeeds, he is in melee distance to her.

1d100 (33) = 33

He’s not. He blows past the cart, but Jamie is a good ways down the hallway...so he gets on the walkie talkie, and calls in the brute squad…

I’m going to pause here so I can go look up clarification on how that Stunt-vs.-timing matter shakes out. Back soon!

You hear the song in your head, don't you?



Comments